Monday, November 21, 2011

I Think There’s Something in the Water

You know the expression, when it rains, it pours?

I feel like this it totally the case the past few weeks. Two girls at the office, two family members and countless blog friends. All have announced that they are expecting a precious addition to their families sometime later this year or next.

Everyone says that there is no “right” or “good” time to have a child. I’ve been told you are never “ready” – you never have saved up enough money, or have a big enough house, or done enough adventuring before a baby comes.

I know that we are still a one-income family with a full-time law student. I know that I do not want to be pregnant when Husband is studying hard core for the bar exam (and possibly taking it twice, depending on the job offers!). I absolutely know that we need to have more savings before bringing another human being into this world. I hear they like to eat, and I’d like to be able to provide enough of that for him or her!

But every time a blog friends posts their sonogram, or every time the cousin emails me the update from the doctor, or I see the gal at work waddling down the hallway with her adorable baby bump peeking out from her dress, I think… why do we have to wait again?

Someday, that’ll be me. Someday.

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you! Well, I'm not even where you are... I just hope I find a hubby in time to still have kids! :-)

    There is most DEFINITELY something in the water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, when I thought we "weren't ready" we were actually much better off financially than we are now. ;) And then when I thought it would be great timing, even if not financially, we found out we couldn't conceive without IVF. Now that I'm finally expecting, on paper it looks like terrible timing (I'll be due in march/april of 3L year), but in reality, it's perfect for us!

    I guess my point is - wait if you want to wait, but accept that no matter how well you plan and/or time it, it may not work out the way you expected it to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We waited until we were "ready" and realized we'd almost waited too long. No, there probably isn't ever the perfect time, but honestly, you'll figure it out and it'll be perfect, no matter what. Hope your someday isn't too far away! Until then, sounds like you'll have plenty of opportunities to babysit and lots of babies to snuggle with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto Cole, ha! I have several friends whose wives had babies in law school and it wasn't easy, for sure. But I don't think I have any clue what it was like for them, because I was friends with the guy, ya know? The girl sitting next to me during the bar exam was 6 months pregnant. She was my hero, ha!
    Obvs I can't entirely relate, but I feel like I've put a 3-5 year delay on most of my personal life and I can relate to not wanting to wait. I just figure the elusive "it" (whatever it is) will happen when it is supposed to. It won't be perfect (so in that sense not "right"), but you'll know it. Or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am right there with you! Of course I have delayed that time more myself because I want one last trip to Disney World sans pregnancy/kids! For the first time since I've worked at the school I'm at no one is pregnant! Apparently the water ran dry there!

    ReplyDelete