Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Since I graduated from college in 2006, I’ve been in four productions for local theatrical companies.

I started out with a small Illinois company that played out of a winery. That was a world premiere of a new play. I actually really enjoy new plays because there is no other performance to look to – you really have to dig into the material and figure out what the playwright wants to know in order to figure out the character.

I did another world premiere for a  professional company, First Run Theatre. They exclusively produce new shows to give the playwrights a chance to see their show live! That was the first time I got paid to act. What an amazing concept! Cashing that check was amazing. :)

So last weekend I closed my latest show, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe at a community theatre. I played Mrs. Beaver!

I auditioned in mid-April and when I left the theatre at the end of the night, I knew I had bagged the part. I went there specifically to read for the White Witch but something told me to read for another part. There’s always a reason!

This is community theatre, so everyone pitches in on every part of the production. Even though I was an actress in the show, I decided to volunteer myself and hubs to help build the set and hang the lights. We both have experience and thought it sounded like fun!

So a few weeks later, we moved into the theatre and added costume and lights. And then it actually becomes a production. It’s an awesome experience.

That’s Mr. and Mrs. Beaver in full costume and make up onstage. So much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment