Wednesday, December 2, 2009

WWFM – Gift Lists on Google Docs

This week’s carnival is themed – what’s your best gift tip!

Mine is pretty simple and I think many people know it, but I have a little twist.

Some write down their Christmas shopping lists on the back of napkins, some in a notebook and some keep them online. I’ve switched to keeping almost every note of mine in an online notebook – either on Evernote or Google. My Christmas list is hosted on the latter.

Last year, we created a shopping list with a budget on Google Spreadsheets. I tracked how much we spent and what we gave each family member. That made it very easy this year to create a new budget and start shopping all over again. However, it solved one problem I didn’t even realize we would have!

I was looking at ideas for my dad when I couldn’t remember what we got him last year. I was able to look at my previous list and double check that I didn’t give him the same thing!

Keeping my memory online instead of in my head works for me!

You can check out other great tips at the WWFM main post.

5 comments:

  1. My fave gift tip these days: check out Network for Good's "Good Cards". Perfect for that bit of charity in you...great to share with others too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! Thanks! I donated to Make A Wish last year for my father-in-law and he was really touched. That can go a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to make a list on Google. I just have such a hard time finding the perfect gift. Sometimes I feel like during the year I will see something and think of one person in particular...but then at Christmas time i can't find anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I always have a hard time keeping track of everything, especially year to year, and this is such a fantastic way to avoid the confusion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do this, too, and it really has helped keep track of everything. Actually, I use Google Docs for EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete