For Father’s Day, my father-in-law wanted us to hang out at the house, watch some baseball, and eat some good food. We were definitely up for that! My mother-in-law took care of most of the shopping but I offered to make the dessert. I always find a reason to make this cookie pizza each summer and I love it. My MIL thought it sounded like a good idea, so that’s what I made. And oh how I LOVE having extras of this dessert to take home!
- 1 (18 ounce) package refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice cookie dough and arrange on greased pizza pan, overlapping edges. Press dough flat into pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, soften cream cheese, then fold in the whipped topping. Spread over cooled crust. You can chill for a while at this point, or continue by arranging the fruit.
- Lay the fruit out in a circular pattern, or however else you want! Then make a sauce to spoon over fruit.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, salt, corn starch, orange juice, lemon juice and water. Cook and stir over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 or 2 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat, and add grated orange rind. Allow to cool, but not set up. Spoon over fruit. Chill for two hours, then cut into wedges and serve.
I found the original recipe here, but for ease of use I’ve copied it here again. Lord knows I need to post about something in order to remember it later!