Saturday, May 22, 2010

Finding privacy again

I’m not one who really cares about my privacy online. I figure if I type it, I need to make sure that everyone could read it – even my parents.

By reading my blog and Twitter, I’m sure you could find out what Midwestern city I live in, what I do for a living and maybe even where I work. It’s not like it’s a state secret! I mean, I’m not one of those people who avoids putting photos up on the blog to maintain anonymity.

In my blog-wanderings this afternoon, I came across a website (http://www.reclaimprivacy.org/) that can check your Facebook privacy settings to make sure you’re not putting yourself out there too much.

There are certain things that anyone searching Facebook shouldn’t be able to see. You can see that I exist, you can see my network and you can request to be my friend. Pretty much anything else requires at least a friend’s link in order to see. I think that’s a safe level of privacy – for me, at least.

Reclaimprivacy.org just made me feel better that I’m safe to my requirements. And it was really easy to use! So if you’re worried, check it out and see if you’re safe enough for you.

{And no, there was no compensation for this review. I just think it’s a neat site!}

4 comments:

  1. Oh interesting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I just tried that and found out some of my photos were available to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU ARE SO AWESOME! I just ran it. :) I always get so afraid of what they will share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete