Sunday, May 16, 2010

“Klassy” Double Date

On Saturday night, Husband and I had a double date with G and C. We’ve been trying to find a time to use our latest Groupon purchase – a gift certificate at Llywelyn's Pub. It’s a great place for fish and chips and yummy hard cider. I went with the Strongbow and it comes in a can.

strongbow

Now that’s klassy – classy with a “k”. ;)

Our awesome Groupon got us $35 worth of food for something decidedly less than that.  We ended up paying $0.12 for dinner! I had to take a picture. Please ignore my attempts at blocking out semi-private info. I’m trying to get better at Photoshop, I really am.

receipt

After a great conversation and too much fried food, the four of us went back to SLU to meet up with some friends.

Normally this wouldn’t be news-worthy – basically a bunch of law school students and their significant others hanging around in an apartment, drinking beer, and watching the best of UFC matches on Spike. Yeah, I didn’t get it either.

But I have to tell you about what happened on the way from the parking lot to the apartment. There’s a long stretch of campus that used to be streets but has since been paved over to make the campus more walker-friendly. There are a lot of gorgeous trees and nice flowers to decorate – honestly, the beautiful scenery is one of the reasons I went to SLU in the first place.

But near the law school, the law students (Husband and G) got excited about nearing a particular tree, asking if their friend the blackbird would be there.

I had no idea what was going on but C was getting excited too. She wanted to see this thing for herself.

  G and the birds

You can kind of see in my bad iPhone photo but there’s a blackbird on the top of the lamp. Apparently, this bird is VERY territorial – and it thinks this tree and lamp is HIS.

The bird goes dive-bombing every time someone comes near him. The second after this photo was taken, the bird came off the lamp and dived for G’s head. It swooped past him and barely missed him!

So C decided she needed to experience the bird as well. The thing actually pecked her hair when she approached its lamp. We have it on video and if she puts it up on YouTube, I’ll have to post it here. It was the FUNNIEST thing I’ve ever seen in my life!

We were all giggling the rest of the way to the party. Then we had to show everyone there the video and relive the moments.

I found out later that the law students would spent hours watching the bird do this to students – it’s right outside the law library and there are big windows for them to have a front seat view. Um, yeah, instead of studying? I’m so not surprised.

5 comments:

  1. I've experienced the bird, only I wasn't warned and it was rather terrifying. I thought The Birds was coming true! hahah. And we enjoy Llywelyn's Pub too. Have you been to the Schlafly Bar downtown? They have REALLY good food and it's a fun atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @newteacherwife - Are you here in St. Louis?! I had no idea! Yay!

    We really thought it was the Birds come to real life. So scary!

    We have tried Schlafly but there are so many other pubs we prefer to those. Something about the atmosphere that I just don't jive with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .12?!?!?! That's a great priced dinner! I would super scared of that bird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I just say how much I LOVE Groupon?! It's the best! Way to make it into a date night :)

    ReplyDelete