Saturday, June 11, 2011

Inspired to Declutter

After reading about Sonya’s awesome summer o’ decluttering over at A Day in the Life, I was inspired.  I wanted to spend the weekend cleaning. This afternoon after the Costco run, I set down to business.

I meant to attack the master bedroom – I hate that room right now because it’s so messy. They say to eat your frog first, or do the thing that bugs you most or that you don’t want to do. Then, you’ve completed something and it makes the rest of the projects seem easier.

But as I was putting away groceries, I decided the pantry wasn’t going to fit all the new food we got. Plus, I was pretty sure that a bunch of food was expired. Since, well, um, I don’t even want to say. Let’s just say it’s been a little while since I’ve cleaned out the pantry or fridge.

IMG_2155

Ok, so it doesn’t look horrible, but there was a lot of wasted space. The reason there are jackets hanging on the back of the door? Well, this is the pantry and the coat closet and the vacuum storage and the home of the trash can and reusable bags, plus our food. Not fun.

Many trash bags and a trip to the dumpster later, we now have a more organized pantry full of food that I know is actually ok for us to eat.

IMG_2161

I now have containers for cereal and baskets to corral things like rice packets and snacks of various types. The white trash can is recycling and the step can is for regular trash.  The recycling can is sitting on top of two containers that have hats and scarves and such for the wintertime. This way they’re by the door but still hidden. I’ll switch all the coats out when it starts getting colder again.

IMG_2166  IMG_2165

I’m so excited about my newly organized pantry!

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous! It looks great! Mine is embarrassing right now! It needs help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive! Our office needs to be cleaned, desperately. And I'm forever hating the clutter. Must deal with it. You are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome! can you come do mine? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great! We worked on our pantry this weekend too. I still have some more reorganizing to do to it though. It was really bad.

    ReplyDelete