Monday, July 25, 2011

And God Blessed the Broken Road, Part 1

When I posted a few days ago about blogger’s block, Meghan of Unintended Housewife suggested I write about my wedding day – how it went, and how I would change things, given my profession as an event planner now. I thought it was a great idea!

But before giving you the wedding detail, I feel like I should back up and tell you how the whole thing started. See, in the beginning of this blog, I gave a very brief introduction of how I met my husband and got to where I am now. After reading the Pioneer Woman’s novel on my nook last week, I’ve got the urge to write down the full story for all posterity. Or at least as long as I keep this blog. So stay tuned for the whole story, in segments!


I picked my college because of my boyfriend.

Ok, so that’s not entirely true. But it’s close!

My dad went to SLU back in the day for multiple degrees. When looking at colleges, he insisted I tour his alma mater, just as I toured my mom’s. Hers wasn’t really my style (it’s ok, because my brother fell in love with it, and it was the right choice for him) but SLU had a beautiful campus and was a really great education, and it was good that we visited.

The boyfriend of mine at the time had chosen to go to SLU right around the time that I had visited the campus. He was a year older than me. Knowing that it was Dad’s alma mater and falling in love with the campus, it all came together. Seeing a show at the campus theatre that fall just sealed the deal. I wanted to act upon that stage. I turned in my deposit the day that I got accepted. It was the only school I ended up applying to.

Fast forward to orientation, the week before classes started. The boyfriend was still in the picture, and I was so excited to get started on the college adventure. Both Mom and Dad went with me to help with move in and all that jazz. I can remember the specific moment when they pulled into the driveway near the Olive Compton garage, to drop me off for a big game of kickball with all the other rising freshmen. We were sectioned off into groups and I was looking for mine across all the other fields but couldn’t seem to find them. While I was looking around, starting to get anxious, because my parents had left and I didn’t know a single person (that’s what the orientation groups are for, so you can have a familiar face on campus), one of the groups popped over and asked me if I was lost. I explained that I couldn’t find my group and a sweet Indian kid who would later be one of the groomsmen in my wedding came to my rescue and asked me to join their kickball team.

As I was being introduced to everyone, most of them I wouldn’t remember their name the next week, I came across a cute guy from a local high school. He had this great short hair cut spiked up with gel and was great at kickball. I found out later that he played rugby in high school, and hence had some awesome thighs, perfect for sports. That was a nice thing. :)

We exchanged AIM names [remember AIM!? This was WAY before Facebook]at that point, to stay in touch. A bunch of soon-to-be-husband’s friends lived in one of the dining halls south of campus, so I joined them for dinner.

I didn’t know back then, but it was the beginning of the story that I would tell my future children about how it all began.

To be continued….


  1. Thanks for the helpful comment on my blog! I was reading a few of your past posts and I am super impressed by you and your husband! What busy, fantastic lives!

  2. I love hearing stories of how people met! It says so much about the couple. Can't wait to read more!

  3. I can't wait to read more either! You two are so cute!