Monday, December 19, 2011

What 2012 Has in Store For Us

I’m going to be a single woman for the first four months of January – and I’m kind of excited about it! Sort of.

In Husband’s journey to his JD/MBA, the opportunity to study European Law in France during one of his law semesters popped up. He mentioned it to me two years ago, I think, in the middle of 1L. The program would set him apart from his fellow law students nicely, and he would be able to take the classes in French, thereby increasing his knowledge of the language and the law in another country that might help him get a job after graduation, possibly in Europe! These are wins, people.

Cut to today, when we are actually preparing for him to leave for three months in France. Paris, to be exact. He’s studying a local university for that time, with hopes for an internship after the classes end. I’m trying to figure out how to get over there and visit him, believe you me.

I know many families deal with long separations, as some of my cousins in the military have had to deal with for much longer than three months. But to be fair, he could be gone for as long as seven months with only two weeks’ break in the middle of that, should he get the internship. That’s a long time!

So yes, I’m excited about being on my own for a bit of 2012. It’s going to be hard to be away from him. When he studied in Hong Kong last year for his MBA and that was only for two weeks. By the end of that time, it was starting to get tough. I was so happy when I picked him up from the airport, even though he was crazy exhausted. I can only imagine how happy I’ll be when he comes home from this long trip.

Please remind me of this excited to be on my own bit when I’m complaining in the middle of March that there’s no one to snuggle with as I fall asleep, no one to take out the trash except for me, no one to go on an impromptu date with all those coupons I have for a night out, no one to come home to. Come to think of it, Husband may come home and find a cat in his place!

5 comments:

  1. Wow is going to be quite a separation! Sounds like it will great in the long run! Now we really do need to meet up in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so neat that he gets to spend a semester in France studying European law! But I know it probably won't be too much fun for you with out him. I hope you get to go visit him at least once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you guys. I studied abroad in law school and it was the best experience of my life. I really do think it gave me a leg up in the job market and gave me something that others didn't have. And of course you'll miss him, but consider it time to do all the things you've wanted to do. Sign up for a class, make a list of all the books you want to read, or the bloggers you want to meet (hello! I'm available!) It'll make your relationship stronger and you'll appreciate each other so much more. And you can always go visit him in Paris! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! 2012 will be such a big year for you! You'll have a blast and you always have us blog-girls to chat with when you're lonely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete