Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Looking Back on a Special Wedding Anniversary

My parents’, that is.

Thirty one years ago today, my mother walked down the aisle to marry my father.

Mom and Dad

She was a beautiful bride, no? She wore the dress that her sister-in-law had worn a few years before. When I got married, I asked where the dress was because I thought we might be able to alter it and make it work for my wedding! Or maybe just the veil… Turns out that no one knows where that dress ended up! Oh well.

She says it was the best reception ever – cake and champagne. What else would you need? They were on a budget and decided against a full dinner. Everyone who attended got a little buzzed with the alcohol and sugar. Perhaps we should re-examine our ideas about long receptions with lots of cost involved. Sometimes smaller is better.

Today is their first anniversary where Dad isn’t there to give her flowers or tell her how much he loves her. So I’m putting this out there on the internet to remind her that he did. An absolute ton. So much love that it’s beyond words.

His presence is going to be missed a lot today. His marriage to my mother taught me how you become a partner – patience, care and a whole bunch of love. I can’t imagine what kind of person I’d be without his example over those many years. I’m glad I was able to experience true love in my parents’ marriage, when many people don’t have that luxury. I think it’s why I have such an awesome marriage of my own – I knew what to look for and how hard to work. Thanks for that, Dad.

Happy 31st wedding anniversary, Mom and Dad. :)

7 comments:

  1. Great post. I was there and remember the cake and drink. Remember your Grandfather Homer, my uncle at the end!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw girl you made me tear up. But what a beautiful tribute.

    And now I'm re-thinking weather we need to do a full dinner.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh honey, what a beautiful thoughtful sweet post. You look so much like your mother! And I'm sure your dad is smiling down on both of you today with lots and lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great picture! My mom and dad had the cake & punch reception years ago too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, what a lovely photo. And what a beautiful post. Thinking of your mom and Dad. Sounds like they shared a ton of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a sweet post and that picture is wonderful. Your parents look great together.

    ReplyDelete