Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wishing Away My Life

Flickr - ~Duncan~

We have had a lot going on in the past few weeks. Two co-workers have said their wedding vows and I helped them run the day. That was a ton of fun. For one of the weddings, my mom was in town and acted as my right hand. That was awesome too.

Looking forward, I’m gone every weekend through mid-June. A law school friend’s wedding in Omaha, brother’s graduation from college in Santa Fe, multiple cousins’ graduations and other ceremonies in DFW, a college friend’s wedding in Cincinnati. Then, I get to hold my beautiful goddaughter when she is baptized sometime in June (my cousin called to ask me if I would take that honor a few weeks ago – SO excited!).

So yeah, the summer will be half gone before I know it.

I have found myself wishing away the day – I want to get home, to do whatever fun thing I had planned that night. On Tuesday afternoon, I’m wishing for it to be Friday so I can go on whatever trip we have planned.

But if I’m not careful, I’ll wish away my life and wonder where it went. I’ll wake up one morning, looking much older than I am now, aged somewhere in the 70s and wonder – how in the world did I get here?

So for the next few weeks, I have a new motto. I am going to enjoy every minute. That means enjoying cutting out nametags for an event at work, as well as making the coffee for meetings. I’m going to enjoy the traffic on the way to the office because I get to listen to another one of my podcasts on the way. I’m going to enjoy folding the laundry and packing for a trip.

I will not wish my life away – it’s too precious not to enjoy every moment of it.

Source

3 comments:

  1. I am really working on this, too. And you know what? The crazy thing is, time is FLYING by because I am not constantly thinking about the next thing---I am enjoying the present. It is kinda awesome and I am so much more joyful and at peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooooooo true!!! I think we are ALL guilty of this. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this! I do the same thing and need to work on living in the moment.

    ReplyDelete